Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Green


My course of study prefers the Reggio Emilia approach to early childhood education (it's nice, but I  haven't made up my mind about any one approach).  One aspect of this approach involves the placement of a "provocation" to children's learning.  Another component to that approach is an appreciation for the inclusion of natural items whenever possible.  So, as such, here is my St. Patrick's Day "provocation" involving green peas, measuring cups and spoons, a funnel (sorry it's plastic), a bowl, and a pot of rosemary.  Princess horse was intrigued.  Interestingly, this actually didn't take off until I put the water table beside it.  The combination of water with the peas made them sticky and sculptable which kept them busy on and off for the whole day.  Unfortunately, it also made the peas unusable for a second go, as they became too soft and a bit smelly, but it was worth it for an annual event.

No comments:

Post a Comment